Rookie Card Year: 1951-52
Investment Rating: 8.0
They don't call him "Mr. Hockey" for nothing. As one of the sport's great ambassadors, Gordie Howe cards and memorabilia transcend hockey.
If one didn't know better you'd think his statistical biography was a thing of fiction. Howe is a 23-time All-Star, four-time Stanley Cup Champion, six-time Hart Trophy winner, six-time Art Ross Trophy Winner, top five in NHL scoring for 20 consecutive seasons, 801 goals, 1,850 points, and 1,685 penalty minutes. Howe holds 15 NHL records including number of games played (1,767), seasons played (26), and goals, assists and total points scored by a right-winger. No other player in the history of the game has played past the age of 48-years old but Howe was still playing at 52.
Equally tough as he was adept at scoring, Howe was a force to be reckoned with in both the offensive or defensive zones. In 1998 The Hockey News published their list of the game's Top 100 Players of All-Time. Howe ranked third behind Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1972.
Gordie Howe's only rookie card comes from the famous 1951-52 Parkhurst Hockey set. It is one of the hobby's most iconic hockey cards.
His longevity, coupled with his being a generous ambassador for the game, means he has plenty of autographed material available.
- See also: Top 10 Gordie Howe Cards of All-Time
Gordie Howe Rookie Cards Checklist Gallery
The 1951-52 Parkhurst Hockey card set consists of 105 cards that measure 1 3/4" by 2 1/2" and feature players from each of the original six NHL teams. The cards are numbered and organized according to team. The dull cards feature a blank back. The small size and thin card stock make them extremely condition-sensitive.
Gordie Howe Autographed Memorabilia Buying Guide
Below you will find an example of what Gordie Howe's authentic signature looks like. This can be used as a first point of reference for determining the legitimacy of autograph memorabilia, but is not a substitute for having your items authenticated by a well-respected professional autograph authentication company. Some of the trusted sources within the sports memorabilia market include the following companies: PSA, JSA, and Mounted Memories.
Gordie Howe Cut Signature Exemplar:
Gordie Howe Key Signature Attributes: An authentic Gordie Howe signature autograph will exhibit several distinguishing characteristics. Regardless of the type of item or when it was signed, look for the following signature features:
- The signature is written on an even horizontal plane.
- Written in cursive, each letter is legible.
- The letters "G" and "H" are slightly over-sized as the exhibit proper capitalization.
- The letter "G" starts far to the left with a small curlycue and a line at about a 45 degree angle, it contains a closed loop at the top and is open at the bottom.
- The letters "o-r-d" are clearly legible with the "o" and "d" exhibiting small loops.
- The letter "i" is not dotted and the "e" is implied.
- The letter "H" is unique in that it uses a line resembling half of a heart to connect the two parallel lines, one significantly shorter than the other.
- The letter "o" is typically larger in the last name than the first name.
- The letters "w-e" are distinguishable.
- The signature is often inscribed with "#9", Howe's jersey number.
Gordie Howe Signed Puck Pricing:
Gordie Howe Signed Stick Pricing:
Gordie Howe Signed Jersey Pricing:
Gordie Howe Signed Photograph Pricing:
Be sure to check out our other Gordie Howe hockey card guides:
For general information and player statistics visit: