Rookie Card Year: 2007
Investment Rating: 7.5
Calvin Johnson is on pace to become one of football's greatest receivers of all-time. And Calvin Johnson cards? They're pretty hot too.
After dominating ACC competition playing for Georgia Tech, Calvin Johnson was selected as the second overall pick by the Detroit Lions in the 2007 NFL Draft. A naturally gifted athlete that combines size, strength, and speed, he is a cornerback's worst nightmare. The two-time All-American was the recipient of both the Fred Bilentikoff Award and the Paul Warfield Trophy in 2006 as the best collegiate wide receiver in the country.
Johnson has the rare talent to create separation from a defender and create his own openings. His ability to out-leap defenders has made him a perfect red-zone weapon in both college and pro ball. Already a Pro Bowler, the future is bright for this extremely gifted receiver. This came to fruition in 2012 when Johnson broke Jerry Rice's record for most receiving yards in a single season.
All of Johnson's rookie cards come from 2007 products, many of which feature autographs and memorabilia swatches. The remaining cards are traditional base football cards, some of which are serial numbered. This means Calvin Johnson rookie cards are available to collectors of all budgets.
Top Calvin Johnson Rookie Cards
The definitive high-end Calvin Johnson rookie card is, without a doubt, his 2007 Upper Deck Exquisite card. It features a posed action photograph, a large memorabilia jersey swatch, an on-card autograph and is limited to only 99 copies.
This is another high-end Calvin Johnson rookie card that carries top-dollar on the secondary market. Also limited to just 99 copies, the vertical layout is a nice contrast to the Exquisite. Also featuring a large jersey swatch, often a patch, and an on-card signature, the photograph used is from a game day.
Picking a third card to round out the Top 3 Calvin Johnson rookie cards is certainly up for debate. He has several additional autographed memorabilia cards to choose from, some of which are more limited. However, SPx gets our vote for thanks to a classic design and the brand's loyal following. Limited to 299 serial numbered copies, the sticker autograph, while unfortunate, doesn't detract from the card's aesthetic value.
Calvin Johnson Rookie Card Checklist
Budget Rookie Cards
- 2007 Bowman #145
- 2007 Bowman Chrome #BC75
- 2007 Playoff NFL Playoffs #107
- 2007 Playoff Prestige #163
- 2007 Score #351
- 2007 Topps #320
- 2007 Topps Chrome #TC200
- 2007 Topps Draft Picks and Prospects #132
- 2007 Topps Total #475
- 2007 Ultra #203
- 2007 Ultra Retail #203
- 2007 Upper Deck #277
- 2007 Upper Deck Artifacts #161
- 2007 Upper Deck First Edition #103
- 2007 Upper Deck Trilogy #107
Mid-Range Rookie Cards
Premium Rookie Cards
- 2007 Donruss Gridiron Gear #212 Autograph #/100
- 2007 Donruss Threads #258 Autograph #/105
- 2007 Leaf Certified Materials #234 Jersey #/849
- 2007 Leaf Limited #308 Autographed Jersey #/99
- 2007 Leaf Rookies and Stars #208 Autograph #/99
- 2007 Playoff Contenders #123 Autograph #/525
- 2007 Playoff National Treasures #107 Autographed Jersey #/99
- 2007 SP Authentic #291 Autographed Jersey #/399
- 2007 SP Chirography #103 Autograph #/149
- 2007 SPx #220 Autographed Jersey #/299
- 2007 Topps Triple Threads #140 Autographed Jersey #/99
- 2007 Upper Deck Exquisite Collection #130 Autographed Jersey #/99
- 2007 Upper Deck Premier #139 Autographed Jersey #/199
- 2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot #135 Autograph #/299
- 2007 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection #103 Autograph #/99
2007 SAGE HIT #61 Calvin Johnson Rookie Card RC
2007 Aspire #18 Calvin Johnson RC Rookie Card
2007 Press Pass Primetime Players #11 Calvin Johnson RC Rookie Card
2007 Topps Draft Chrome Bronze #132 Calvin Johnson Rookie Lions
2007 Topps Red Hot Rookies #2 Calvin Johnson Rookie Lions
CALVIN JOHNSON 2007 PRESSPASS #79 ALL-AMERICANS RC CARD-STORE
Calvin Johnson, 2007 Sage Hit, ROOKIE!!!, GEM MINT 10
2007 Topps CALVIN JOHNSON (RC) #320
Calvin Johnson Autographed Memorabilia Buying Guide
Below you will find examples of what an authentic Calvin Johnson autograph looks like. This can be used as a first point of reference for determining the legitimacy of autograph memorabilia, but is not a substitute for having your items authenticated by a well-respected professional autograph authentication company. Some of the trusted sources within the sports memorabilia market include the following companies: PSA, JSA, Tristar, and Mounted Memories. Click on any of the images below to view full size photos.
Calvin Johnson Cut Signature Exemplar
Calvin Johnson Key Signature Attributes: An authentic Calvin Johnson signature autograph will exhibit several distinguishing characteristics. Regardless of the type of item signed or when in his career, look for these signature characteristics:
- The entire signature appears to consist of just (3) letters
- The letters "C-J" are discernible
- The third letter looks nearly identical to the letter "J" but their is not a second "J" in his name
- Instead of discerning letters, it is better to notate the 45 degree angle of the signature and the increasing and consistent size of each character
- All of the letter formations end with a right extending line of various sizes
- He almost always includes his jersey number "81"
Signed Football Pricing:
Signed Jersey Pricing:
Signed Helmet Pricing (Full-size and Mini):
Signed Photograph Pricing:
Additional articles about Calvin Johnson cards and memorabilia:
For general information and player statistics visit: