Rookie Card Year: 1965
Investment Rating: 7.5
As key contributor to the Cincinnati Reds' Big Red Machine dynasty of the 1970s, Tony Perez cards and autographed memorabilia remain popular. While he excelled with the Reds, there is little doubt that his talent would have made him equally successful elsewhere. With so many stars on the Reds, it's easy to forget that Perez finished his career with some lofty stats, including 379 home runs, 1,652 runs batted in and 1,272 runs scored. Combine numbers like that with a few World Series Championships and collectors and fans will respect you beyond your playing days.
Perez's rookie card is from the 1965 Topps Baseball set. He shares the card with Dave Ricketts and Kevin Collins. He also has a few team-issued postcards that were released prior to his big league debut.
His first certified autograph card is in 1998 Upper Deck Retro as a part of the Sign of the Times inserts set. It has a confirmed print run of 600 copies.
Upper Deck also produced Perez's first memorabilia card with 2000 Ultimate Victory Hall of Fam Jersey. A total of 500 copies were produced.
Tony Perez's signature is key on any piece related to the Big Red Machine. Team-signed items are incomplete without it. Not surprisingly, items from that era are the ones that carry the most value. Demand for other Tony Perez autographs also remains solid.
Tony Perez Rookie Card
This is one of the key rookie cards of 1965 Topps Baseball. Detractors of multi-player rookie cards will obviously dislike Perez having to share the card's landscape. At least he is featured prominently on the card.
Tony Perez Autographed Memorabilia Buying Guide
Below you will find an example of what Tony Perez's authentic signature looks like. This can be used as a first point of reference for determining the legitimacy of autograph memorabilia, but is not a substitute for having your items authenticated by a well-respected professional autograph authentication company. Some of the trusted sources within the sports memorabilia market include the following companies: PSA, JSA, Steiner, Mounted Memories and Tristar. Click on any of the images below to view full size photos.
Tony Perez Cut Signature Exemplar:
Tony Perez Key Signature Attributes: An authentic Tony Perez signature autograph will exhibit several distinguishing characteristics. Regardless of the type of item or when it was signed, look for the following signature features:
- A pride of penmanship exists, even into his older years.
- It is written in regular cursive.
- The crossing line of the "T" often has a slight curve to it.
- The first name could, at a glance, be mistaken for "Terry." This is because of the way the "o" makes more of an oval than a circular shape. Additionally, the "n" is written with points as compared to humps making it resemble an "r."
- The "y" is clearly legible with the tail falling well below the horizontal plane.
- The loop of the "P" in his last name attaches to the vertical line with a teardrop shape.
- The first "e" is often open and the second, smaller and closed.
- The "r" is implied but the "z" is visible.
Tony Perez Signed Baseball Pricing
Tony Perez Signed Bat Pricing
Tony Perez Signed Jersey Pricing
Tony Perez Signed Photograph Pricing
For general information about Tony Perez, including his career player statistics, visit: