Rookie Card Year: 2008
Investment Rating: 8.0
It didn't happen right away like some other pitchers, but Max Scherzer is one of baseball's best. As a key piece for the Detroit Tigers and Washington Nationals, Max Scherzer rookie cards and memorabilia are building a bigger following. Helping his cardboard interest, Scherzer was dominant for the Nationals' 2019 World Series run.
Upper Deck released the first Max Scherzer cards in 2005 as part of their USA Baseball line. These included a handful of different autographs and memorabilia cards. In addition, 2007 Donruss Elite Extra Edition has a Scherzer autograph that is numbered to 250 copies.
However, the official Max Scherzer rookie cards can only be found in 2008 products. Of his 16 rookies, four are autographed. The 2008 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Max Scherzer is the lone option with a signature and memorabilia swatch. The autograph is done directly on the fabric. While a redemption for a Max Scherzer rookie card was inserted in 2008 SP Authentic, the final autograph memorabilia card was never produced.
Not a huge signer in recent years, there are still a moderate number of Max Scherzer autograph cards. In many instances, though, he has several different cards in the same release. That said, most remain affordable but Max Scherzer cards are definitely on the rise.
Max Scherzer Rookie Card Checklist and Top Prospect Cards
Budget/Mid-Level Rookie Cards
- 2008 Bowman Draft #BDP33
- 2008 Bowman Chrome Draft #BDP33
- 2008 Stadium Club #140
- 2008 Topps Updates and Highlights #UH280
- 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter #297
- 2008 Topps Heritage High Number #519
- 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces #5
- 2008 Upper Deck Goudey #6
- 2008 Upper Deck Timeline #75, #123, #172, #213, #319, #344, #369
Premium Rookie Cards
Prospect Card Highlights
Max Scherzer Autographed Memorabilia Buying Guide
Below you will find an example of what Max Scherzer's authentic signature looks like. This can be used as a first point of reference for determining the legitimacy of autograph memorabilia, but is not a substitute for having your items authenticated by a well-respected professional autograph authentication company. Some of the trusted sources within the sports memorabilia market include the following companies: PSA, JSA, and Mounted Memories.
Max Scherzer Cut Signature Exemplar:
Max Scherzer Key Signature Attributes: An authentic Max Scherzer signature autograph will exhibit several distinguishing characteristics. Regardless of the type of item or when it was signed, look for the following signature features:
- The signature exhibits an overall consistency that feels rushed with few letters being clearly discernible.
- The letter "M" includes a long horizontal line extending off the left side with a small curlycue where the letter's humps are written high on the letter and spaced very close together.
- The pen lifts and the letters "a-x" are tiny but visible.
- The letter "S" is dominant in the characters of the last name which then appears to have a scribble of some sort, implying several letters, written over it.
- Extending out of that mess is what resembles a "+."
Max Scherzer Signed Baseball Pricing:
Max Scherzer Signed Jerseys Pricing:
Max Scherzer Signed Photographs Pricing: