We previously wrote about some of the Julius Erving memorabilia to be featured in the upcoming SCP auction. Now the full listing of 144 items in the "Dr. J" Collection has been revealed. The top items available are listed below:
- 1983 Philadelphia 76ers World Championship Ring
- 1980-81 NBA MVP Trophy
- 1974 New York Nets ABA World Championship Ring
- 1976 New York Nets ABA World Championship Ring
- 1969-70 University of Massachusetts Redmen Autographed Game-Used Jersey
- 1975-76 ABA MVP Trophy
- 1987 Game-Worn Jersey from Game Five of Eastern Conference Playoffs (Last Game in NBA)
- 1985 Eastern Conference All-Star Game-Used Uniform
The auction coincides with news that Erving faces a $200,000 lawsuit stemming from a loan with Georgia Primary Bank. But these potential financial woes are not what spurred Erving to part ways with many of his historical treasures.
"He was just willing to sell now," SCP President and CEO, David Kohler said. "We've been talking about this for about a year, and this is going to be the 25th year since his retirement, so he decided it was the right time."
In addition to the Erving items, the auction also boasts a pair of Muhammad Ali's fight-worn and signed trunks from his first fight with Joe Frazier, a 1938-39 game-used Lou Gehrig bat, Mickey Cochrane's 1934 American League MVP Trophy, and game-used Ted Williams and Willie Mays jerseys.
The auction starts on October 28th and ends on November 19th. The full listing can be viewed here.