2011 Leaf Pete Rose Legacy is one of the more unique releases the hobby has seen in sometime. Focusing entirely on baseball's all-time hit king, each single-pack box promises one Rose autograph. While all the signature cards have sold well, the inscribed Rose-isms autographs are a definite standout.
Offering classic quotes that show Rose's personality and attitude, the cards are truly unique. Although inscribed cards have been around the hobby for several years, they haven't been to this extent in a card set.
Rose-isms autographs are available in three levels: Red Ink (/10), Green Ink (/5) and Printing Plates (/1). Most of the inscribed cards sell for around $100. A copy inscribed, "Never bet on baseball" went for $225.
Not all the notes are perfect. Some show signs of Rose correcting himself by writing over a letter or two. Some remain with spelling mistakes in tact. One such error reads, "It's a round ball & a round bat & you got to it it square."
While some may wince at such autograph errors, others may find a bit of humor in them. As Rose would likely freely admit, nobody's perfect. In most marathon card signing sessions, players and personalities are simply scribbling their names in such a way you might be able to make out a letter or two. Rose is going way beyond the scribble and actually adding a note.
2003 Leaf Pete Rose Legacy Rose-isms Autograph Gallery:
2011 Leaf Pete Rose Legacy Rose-isms Inscription List:
(Please note, this is not a definitive list.)
- 30 Yr Old Body, 15 Yr Old Brain = Ball Player
- I was born on the day Lincoln was shot and the Titanic sank.
- Dad taught me to practice and practice more.
- With the money I'm making, I should be playing 2 positions.
- Never bet on baseball.
- It's a round ball & a round bat & you got to hit it square.
- See the ball, hit the ball.
- I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play.
- Winning 2/3s of the games usually wins a pennant.
- You win a hitting lesson with the hit king. (Note: Not part of regular print runs. Limited to one prize card.)