2010-11 Ultimate Collection HockeyBrand: Ultimate Collection
2010-11 Ultimate Collection Hockey Product Review
Reviewed by Russ Cohen
Good: The formula of one rookie card, one autograph, and one memorabilia card is good because it gives collectors guaranteed hits. When you're spending this kind of coin, guaranteed hits are what you want. The design hasn't changed that much, but it still looks great and the low-numbered cards are very appealing. Upper Deck still has deals with Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, and Gordie Howe, three huge names that collectors want.
Bad: When your big hit is a short print redemption (/99) of a late first round goalie (Thomas McCollum, Detroit, 30th overall pick in 2008), it's a letdown. He might play in the NHL someday and goaltenders are generally late bloomers. But, as with all redemptions, by the time I get this card he may already be an afterthought.
The Bottom Line: The packaging and the set are visually appealing. The set has the ability to give a collector a huge hit or two. Just don't expect it in every box. When rookies like Derek Smith (Ottawa at the time, now with Calgary) are in the set, that's bad. I got his card but he's an average defenseman. Higher-end products should include only the best rookies. This set will certainly fill the void that hockey left for some collectors after the draft ended in June.
Card Design: 3.5/5.0
Very solid look but the lack of biographical information isn't a plus. High-end products should be detailed too. Height, weight, date of birth and a few other tidbits aren't enough.
The rookie checklist is a bit weak but the fact that you can get some exclusive players makes up for it. Autograph combos of Gretzky and Lemieux, Messier and Yzerman, and Roy and Sakic can't be ignored.
If you get two good hits you can make back your box. One big one might do it. Otherwise, the value is very average.
The Fun Factor: 4.0/5.0
The anticipation before opening a box is great. What follows can be a bit of a downer but, all in all, collectors will walk away with a few decent cards.
2010-11 Ultimate Signatures Martin Brodeur Auto
2010-11 ITG Ultimate Mem.Gerry Cheevers Autograph 16 24
2010-11 ITG Ultimate Mem.Autograph 05 24 Oscar Moller
2010-11 ITG Ultimate Mem.Autograph 03 24 Joe Nieuwendyk
2010-11 Ultimate Collection returns for a seventh season of high-end hockey card madness. The seventh season of Upper Deck's premium brand is much like the previous six, offering collectors a plethora of autographed cards, patches, autographed patches, interesting one-of-ones and the popular Ultimate Rookie Autographs. Each 1-pack box of 2010-11 Ultimate Collection will deliver 1 autographed card, 1 rookie card and 1 memorabilia card on average.
Box Configuration: 1 Pack Per Box/ 4 Cards Per Pack
Pack Price: $100-$130
Product Type: High-End Hockey Card
Geared Toward: High-end collectors, Hit collectors, Patch auto collectors, 2010-11 NHL rookie card collectors, Collectors that like to cut straight to the hits, Base card haters
What's In The Box:
- 1 Autographed Card
- 1 Rookie Card
- 1 Memorabilia Card
- 1 rookie, 1 autographed card and 1 memorabilia card in every pack on average!
- Grab the Ultimate Hit: 1-of-1 NHL Shield Patch cards signed by NHL stars past and present!
- Snag a Rookie Autograph Card of Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Jeff Skinner, Tyler Seguin, Sergei Bobrovsky and other big names from the 2010-11 NHL rookie class. Each is #'d to just 99!
- Chase 42 different Ultimate Signed Rookie Card Patch Variations that are delivered in two tiers!
- Seek Oversized Swatches with the Ultimate Debut Threads inserts - Jerseys and Patches, with and without autographs, give collectors a great chance to land a big one.
- Look for additional oversized memorabilia cards featuring premium swatches and patches.
- Ultimate Nicknames and Ultimate Achievements.
- Case Break: 1 autographed memorabilia card, 3-4 patch cards, 3 'A"-level signature cards (on average).
- Premium Patches: Alex Ovechkin, Joe Sakic, Evgeni Malkin, Henrik Zetterberg, Carey Price, Roberto Luongo, Martin Brodeur, Matt Duchene, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby and more!
- Autographed Ultimate Rookie Cards: Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, PK Subban, Jeff Skinner, Jordan Eberle, Brayden Schenn, Sergei Bobrovsky, Kevin Shattenkirk, Derek Stepan, Evgeni Grachev, Nazim Kadri, Magnus Paajarvi, Cam Fowler, Mattias Tedenby, Luke Adam, Alexander Burmistrov, Brandon Yip, Zac Dalpe, Jordan Caron & more!
2010-11 Ultimate Collection Hockey,