Rookie Card Year: 2004-05
Investment Rating: 8.0
Few will deny Dwight Howard's talent. That said, his heart and trail of locker room drama have turned off many fans. So what does that mean for Dwight Howard cards and memorabilia?
Dwight Howard came into the NBA as a young player with amazing physical traits and the hope that he could carry the Orlando Magic back to greatness. However, critics openly questioned his maturity and dedication to the game. Frequent comparisons to Shaquille O'Neal put him on a path out of Orlando to a larger NBA market. This materialized when he joined the Lakers but it became quickly apparent that it wasn't just a bigger market that Howard needed, but a team where he could be "The Man." After a couple of unsuccessful season in LA, Howard signed with the Houston Rockets prior to the 2013-14 season.
In terms of hobby and mainstream appeal, this is the best thing that could happen to Dwight Howard. Expect a significant bump in Dwight Howard cards and memorabilia if he can lead the Rockets to postseason success. The hype will build all season and the playoffs will be the site of an explosion in value if Howard can be a dominant force in games even with all the other high-profile players around him. Hobby love will follow the championships. If the Rockets can turn these high-profile moves into hardware, Howard will make a strong push for upper-echelon status in the collecting world.
Despite his popularity, there has not been many autographed Dwight Howard cards in some time. The increase in exposure should greatly increase the demand for the Dwight Howard autographs that do exist. This means existing cards should, at the very least, hold strong values.
Dwight Howard has over 40 rookie cards that will appeal to collectors of every budget. The top options for high-end rookie collectors all include on-card autos.
Top Dwight Howard Rookie Cards
Overall, this is a simply a great card. Never mind that it will run you $2000+, Exquisite is the Rolls Royce of basketball cards. Howard's rookie is the top model for 2004-05. With a limited print run of 99, a nice-sized patch piece and on-card autograph, this is as good as it gets for Dwight Howard cards.
The 2004-05 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Dwight Howard rookie card may not come with the hype of Exquisite but it represents a great value in comparison. Although it does not feature a jersey piece, it still has a low print run and on-card autoraph. The design does leave something to be desired but it is still a strong choice. It can be found for a few hundred dollars.
Arguably the most attractive card in the group, the 2004-05 SP Authentic Dwight Howard rookie uses a bright blue background and dynamic image to create a great canvas. The large signing area is an added bonus, which will make it easier for collectors to overlook the higher print run and lack of jersey piece.
Dwight Howard Rookie Card Checklist
Budget Rookie Cards
- 2004-05 Bazooka #220
- 2004-05 Bowman #129
- 2004-05 Flair #82 #/799
- 2004-05 Fleer Authentix #129 #/750
- 2004-05 Fleer Genuine #127 #/500
- 2004-05 Fleer Sweet Sigs #90 #/999
- 2004-05 Fleer Tradition #221
- 2004-05 Hoops #193 #/1750
- 2004-05 SkyBox Autographics #69 #/750
- 2004-05 SkyBox Fresh Ink #113 #/499
- 2004-05 SkyBox Premium #76 #/999
- 2004-05 Topps #221
- 2004-05 Topps Luxury Box #101
- 2004-05 Topps Pristine #101
- 2004-05 Topps Total #315
- 2004-05 Upper Deck #224 SP
- 2004-05 Upper Deck All-Star Lineup #92
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Pro Sigs #91
- 2004-05 Upper Deck R-Class #91
Mid-Range Rookie Cards
- 2004-05 Black Diamond #184
- 2004-05 Bowman Chrome #129
- 2004-05 Bowman Signature Edition #56 Jersey #/100
- 2004-05 E-XL #78 #/399
- 2004-05 Finest #159 #/400
- 2004-05 Fleer Showcase #93 #/199
- 2004-05 Fleer Throwbacks #77 Jersey #/499
- 2004-05 Hoops Hot Prospects #91 Jersey #/350
- 2004-05 SkyBox LE #76 #/99 (Retail not #'ed)
- 2004-05 SP Game Used #92 #/999
- 2004-05 SP Signature Edition #101 Jersey #/499
- 2004-05 Sweet Shot #131 #/499
- 2004-05 Topps Chrome #166
- 2004-05 Ultra #176 #/500
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Hardcourt #91 #/999
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Trilogy #141 #/499
Premium Rookie Cards
DWIGHT HOWARD 2003-04 BOWMAN GOLD MAGIC RC #129
DWIGHT HOWARD 2004-05 TOPPS CHROME TRUE RC #166
DWIGHT HOWARD 2004-05 TOPPS PRISTINE TRUE RC #D 75 739
DWIGHT HOWARD 2004-05 UD BLACK DIAMOND DOUBLE DIAMOND CUT DIE CUT RC #4
Dwight Howard Autographed Memorabilia Buying Guide
Below you will find an example of what Dwight Howard's authentic signature looks like. This can be used as a first point of reference for determining the legitimacy of autograph memorabilia, but is not a substitute for having your items authenticated by a well respected professional autograph authentication company. Reputable authentication companies include JSA, PSA, Panini Authentic, Upper Deck Authentic, Tristar and Mounted Memories to name a few. Click on any of the images below to view full size photos.
Dwight Howard Cut Signature Exemplar
Dwight Howard Key Signature Attributes:An authentic Dwight Howard signature autograph will exhibit several distinguishing characteristics, regardless of the item signed or when it was signed. Look for the following signature features:
- Signed on an upward angle of about 45 degrees, the letters lean to the right.
- The letter "D" is distinguishable by what looks like a printed capital letter "T" and a wide swooping loop to the right and pack, which is typically not closed at the bottom of the letter.
- The next character intersects the swoop of the letter "D" and resembles a numeral "8" without the bottom loop being closed.
- A large character resembling a question mark "?" or number seven "7" is written next.
- This is followed by another character appearing as a number "8" with a narrow loop at the top.
Dwight Howard Signed Basketball Pricing
Dwight Howard Signed Jersey Pricing
Dwight Howard Signed Shoe Pricing
Dwight Howard Signed Photo Pricing
For general information and player statistics visit: