2007 Upper Deck Masterpieces Baseball
2007 Upper Deck Masterpiece is one of the most underrated and original baseball cards sets of 2007. Overshadowed by flashier brands such as SPX, Bowman Chrome, Triple Threads and Upperdeck Premier, many collectors missed this great product. The 2007 offering of Masterpiece is flat out one of the best looking baseball card sets I've seen in a long time. Think Donruss Diamond Kings meets Topps Heritage and you've got masterpiece. Each hobby box of 2007 Masterpiece contains 18 packs, with four cards in each pack. You can expect to find a number of parallel cards in each box — many of which are are serial numbered, with various framed borders. Additionally, each hobby box comes with one oversized boxtopper that depicts one of the 70 greatest moments in MLB history. To top it off, each box contains three "Captured on Canvas" game used memorabilia cards, and one autographed (on card autograph) canvas card.
Some of the big names you can expect to find in 2007 upper deck masterpiece are Cal Ripken Jr., Tony Gwynn, Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Ty Cobb, Roger Maris, and many, many, more. Billy Butler, Akinori Iwamura, Andy Laroche, Phil Hughes, Alex Gordon, and Tim Lincecum head out the A List of rookie cards available in the set. For reasons unbeknownst to me Richard Nixon was also included in this set, but I was willing to let that slide in light of all the other big names in the set.
About a month after 2007 Upper Deck Masterpieces was released I purchased a few retail packs of the product from Target and really liked the cards. As soon as I was done opening the packs, I jumped onto the computer to buy a hobby box of 2007 Masterpieces. My enthusiasm was soon extinguished when I realized the going rate for a hobby box of 2007 Masterpieces was $115!
The substantial price tag, in conjunction with the inordinate ratio of hits per box, caused me to pass on the product in favor of 2007 Topps Chrome, which at the time was selling for about $40 a box making it a far better value. I opted to purchase three boxes of 2007 Topps Chrome, which collectively cost the same amount as 1 box of Masterpieces. Many months passed and dozens of new 2008 card products were released. By mid Summer I had for all intents and purposes forgotten about 2007 Masterpieces.
My Box Break (1 Hobby Box)
There's no way that one can expect every box to be as consistently good as the box I broke, but I do believe each box will on average present above-average value to the buyer. My rookie card hits included Alex Gordon, Phil Hughes, and many more. I pulled a number of framed-border parallel cards as well, probably the best of which was a Cole Hamels card that was numbered out of 75. None of my game used memorabilia card pulls disappointed - Jose Reyes, Ken Griffey Jr. and Mariano Rivera. And now, for the two best pulls. The first of the two was an autographed Nolan Ryan card, which I hadn't expected at all, and caused me to literally jump out of my chair in celebration. After I settle down a bit I recommenced the box break. The very next pack yielded a Ryan Howard one of one printing plate! Suffice to say this box ranks near the top of my list of best box breaks ever.
Configuration: 18 packs per box. 4 cards per pack.
* The entire base set features artists' paintings found only in UD Masterpieces!
* Every card is printed on canvas-like paper!
* Pull an average of 3 memorabilia cards and 1 on-card signature from every box!
* Look for an average of 7 framed painting parallel cards per box - including 2 numbered to 99 or less!
* Collect 5x7 Framed Painting Cards(including autographed versions) - inserted 1:box on average!
* Includes 1-of-1 redemption cards for the original paintings featured in the base set!
Signature and Memorabilia cards
* Stroke of Genius Signatures - Inserted 1:18 packs on average
* Stroke of Genius Signatures Parallel - #'d to 1
* Captured on Canvas Memorabilia - Inserted 1:6 packs on average
* Captured on Canvas Memorabilia Parallel - #'d to 1
* Captured on Canvas Memorabilia Parallel 2 - #'d to 1
Inserts and Parallels
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel - Inserted 1:6 packs on average
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel - Inserted 1:9 packs on average
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel - #'d to 99
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation - #'d to 99
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel - #'d to 50
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation 1(Hobby Exclusive) - #'d to 50
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation 2 - #'d to 50
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel - #'d to 1
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation 1 - #'d to 1
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation 2 - #'d to 1
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation 3 - #'d to 1
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation 4 - #'d to 1
* Regular Card Painting Framed Parallel Variation 5 - #'d to 1
* Regular Card Artists Proof Parallel - #'d to 1
* 5x7 Framed Painting Box Topper(Hobby Exclusive) Inserted 1:18 packs
* 5x7 Autographed Framed Painting Box Topper(Hobby Exclusive) Inserted 1:252 packs
* Wood Framed Printing Plates - #'d to 1
* Redemptions for Original Framed Artwork - #'d to 1
Regular Cards - Featuring artwork from actual paintings
* Regular Card Paintings(90)
2007 Upper Deck Masterpieces Baseball Hobby Box -4 Hits Per Box