2011 Topps UFC Title Shot
Good: The first Chrome UFC Cards, most affordable UFC product yet, and an excellent design.
Bad: Lacks the big hit chase appeal that previous Topps UFC products have virtually all had, the "Title Shot" theme of the product doesn't do much to differentiate the set from Topps UFC Knockout.
The Bottom Line: The wild success enjoyed by Topps' UFC trading card line allowed retailers to drastically mark up box prices for the products. As a result, anyone who wanted to dive into the UFC card hobby has largely been forced to ante up and pay upper mid-end to high-end prices in order to afford the good stuff (i.e. the hobby exclusive wax). Thankfully 2011 Topps UFC Title Shot has changed that, debuting with a sub $100 per hobby box price tag. The current hobby box price of around $85 per box makes it even more attainable for budget minded collectors. Each hobby box sports 4 hits and a slew of compelling (if not overly original) inserts and base cards, which cumulatively offer lots of bang for the buck at that price point.
I would give the base card design, as well as the designs of most of the insert sets, very high marks. Far and away the best looking of them are the Chrome cards. I can't wait to sink my teeth into 2011 Topps UFC Finest, and I have my fingers crossed that 2011 Topps UFC Chrome is coming down the pipeline in the not-so-distant future.
On the flip side, the autograph and memorabilia cards look somewhat tacky and leave something to be desired. The exception to this are the giant memorabilia boxloader cards. I was lucky enough to pull one and can honestly say it was the largest amount of memorabilia I've ever seen on a trading card. And it definitely had eye appeal too, unlike many of the ill-conceived jumbo relics of the past.
Considering that UFC has a more limited set of marketable athletes to profile than other more established sports like baseball and football, Topps has done a good job with the UFC Title Shot checklist. The foundation of the set is focused on the big name fighters and legends, but they've added just enough new names to keep things fresh without swinging the pendulum too far to the obscure.
While the quality and quantity of the hits isn't on the same level as higher dollar Topps UFC releases of the past, the 4 hits per box average still offers plenty of excitement without putting a huge dent in your wallet in the process.
The Fun Factor:
I love being able to break lots of packs at a time, especially when there is a decent chance of pulling a big card. 2011 UFC Title Shot came through in both respects, earning it high marks from me in terms of its enjoyability.
2011 Topps UFC Title Shot Factory Sealed Hobby Box - 4 Hits Per Box w 2 Autos
2011 TOPPS UFC TITLE SHOT HOBBY BOX NEW FACTORY SEALED
2011 Topps UFC Title Shot Set Checklists
Base Set Set Checklist
Compare prices on Base Set cards:
Fighter Relics Set Checklist
Fighter Autograph Relics Set Checklist
Fighter Autographs Set Checklist
UFC Legacy Inserts Set Checklist
UFC Replica Title Belt Inserts Set Checklist
UFC Fight Mat Relics Set Checklist
UFC Contenders Autographs Set Checklist
Compare prices on UFC Contenders Autographs cards:
UFC Contenders Inserts Set Checklist
WEC Jumbo Mat Box Toppers Set Checklist
Top 10 UFC Title Fights Set Checklist
2011 Topps UFC Title Shot offers hardcore MMA fans the chance to collect current champions as well as prospect potential future champions. Title Shot is a cardboard celebration of UFC champions past, present and future. Each $70-$90 hobby box delivers 12 packs and 4 hits.
Release Date: 5/4/11
Box Configuration: 12 Packs Per Box/15 Cards Per Pack
Pack Price: $7-$10
Product Type: Mid-End MMA Card
Geared Toward: UFC card collectors, MMA fans, Budget collectors, Collectors looking to expand beyond the four major sports, Topps fans, UFC Prospectors, Jon "Bones" Jones fans
What's In The Box (Hits):
- 1 Autographed Relic
- 1 Autograph Card
- 2 Relics
- Includes autographs from every current UFC Champion PLUS at least 10 new First Issue Autographs from
- top contenders including welterweight Jake Shields!
- Plus NEW randomly inserted Jumbo Octagon Mat Relic Box Topper cards!
- NEW innovative relic concepts!
- NEW Full-Bleed high-action photography!
- 14 base cards in every pack
- On-card autographs!
- NEW embedded replica UFC Title Belt plates: Unique cards featuring a champion and a mini replica title belt plate from the belt he held. Cards come in 1/1 diamond parallels featuring plate on both sides of card, red parallels numbered to 8 and onyx parallels numbered to 88.
- AUTOGRAPH JUMBO MAT RELICS: Each fighter pens his name directly on an oversized jumbo mat relic displayed on each numbered to 10 card.
- FIGHTER AUTOGRAPH RELICS: 35 contenders with an autograph AND fighter-used gear. Cards come in 1/1 Mat parallels, Red parallels numbered to 8 and Onyx parallels numbered to 88.
- NEW RELIC CONCEPT - DUAL AUTOGRAPH FIGHT MAT RELICS: fighters appear on a double-sided card with their autographs and a piece of the mat from their bout, visible from both sides. Ten subjects in all, numbered* to 25 and Hobby Exclusive.
- NEW! UFC LEGACY AUTOGRAPHS: 5 past and present UFC Titleholders SIGN THEIR NAMES DIRECTLY on these vintage-style greyback cards. Hand-numbered to 25.
- NEW! UFC CONTENDERS AUTOGRAPHS: 25 promising Contenders appear with their signature on cards numbered to 188.
- FIGHTER AUTOGRAPHS: Featuring 50 UFC fighters and personalities with their autographs and numbered. Cards showcasing a fighter's first autograph.
- FIGHTER RED INK NICKNAME AUTOGRAPHS: 25 subjects autograph cards with their name or nickname in red ink. Numbered to 15.
- FIGHT MAT RELICS: 50 fighters with an actual piece of a mat from a highlighted fight and numbered on cards die-cut with the number of the UFC event from which the mat came. Relics come in 1/1 "3-Piece" parallels, Red parallels numbered to 8 and Onyx parallels numbered to 88.
- FIGHTER RELICS: 50 UFC pros appear on cards numbered with fight-used relic pieces such as gloves, shorts or shirts. Relics come in 1/1 Diamond, Red /8 and Onyx /88 parallels.
- BASE CARDS (14 Per Pack): A roster of 150 UFC veterans, legends, debuting fighters and WEC fighters.
- PARALLELS (1 Per Pack): Diamond 1/1, Red /8, Onyx /88 and Gold.
- NEW! TOP 10 TITLE FIGHTS INSERTS: 30 cards highlighting the ten best title fights of all time – 3 cards for each fight.
- NEW! CHAMPIONSHIP CHRONOLOGY INSERTS: Cards featuring every fighter who has ever held the title. Place them side-by-side and form a linked chronology of each weight class' title holders.
- NEW! UFC LEGACY INSERTS: Vintage-style greyback cards featuring 25 fighters who have held the title, past and present.
- NEW! UFC BIG SHOTS INSERTS: Featuring stunning outside-the-octagon photography directly from official UFC photographers.
- NEW! UFC CONTENDERS INSERTS: 25 up-and-coming fighters who may soon compete for a title.
- NEW HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX TOPPERS!
Preview Card Gallery:
Here are the real time rankings of the 25 Most Popular 2011 Topps UFC trading card auctions: