Rookie Card Year: 2000
Investment Rating: 8.0
Tom Brady is the walking definition of the cliché “patience is a virtue." A product of the University of Michigan, Brady had to endure watching quarterbacks with inferior talent receive playing time ahead of him. Frustrated and disillusioned with his chances to play, he considered transferring back to his home state of California to play for Cal. Fate had other plans, as a series of events and the graduation of other athletes finally allowed the talented Brady to earn the starting position. He subsequently led the Wolverines to a Big-Ten Conference title and wins in both the Citrus Bowl and the Orange Bowl.
Despite his collegiate success, pro teams shied away from Brady in the 2000 NFL Draft. He was eventually picked in the sixth round with the 199th overall pick. He saw only a few snaps during his rookie year, but in 2001 following an injury to Drew Bledsoe, Brady assumed the helm and never looked back.
Since then, he has assembled a résumé placing him among the all-time greats of the game. A three-time Super Bowl Champion, two-time Super Bowl MVP, six-time Pro Bowl choice, named the Sportsmen of the Year three times, a member of the 2000's All-Decade Team, a 21-game winning streak and the NFL record holder for most consecutive wins in postseason at 10 breaking Bart Starr's, once thought, unbreakable record.
Playing in a major market like Boston and being a Wolverine alumni means Brady has tons of fans and collectors. All of his rookie cards debuted in the year 2000. Most notable is his card #144 from 2000 Playoff Contenders. It is his only autographed rookie card and commands big dollars on the secondary market.
Despite the number of other cards produced during his rookie campaign, high-grade samples continue to increase in value. Being a three-time Super Bowl Champion in New England means your autographed material is always in demand. Single-signed and team signed balls from the championship years carry a premium.
Below is a complete list of all Brady's rookie football cards.
Tom Brady Rookie Card Checklist
Budget Rookie Cards
- 2000 Bowman #236
- 2000 Collector's Edge Supreme #176 (/2000)
- 2000 Donruss #230 (/1325)
- 2000 Fleer Tradition #352
- 2000 Leaf Quantum Leaf #343
- 2000 Metal #267
- 2000 Pacific #403
- 2000 Pacific Aurora #84
- 2000 Pacific Crown Royale #110
- 2000 Pacific Paramount #138
- 2000 Score #316
- 2000 SkyBox Dominion #234
- 2000 SkyBox Impact #27
- 2000 Ultra #234
- 2000 Upper Deck Encore #254
- 2000 Upper Deck Victory #326
Mid-Range Rookie Cards
- 2000 Bowman Chrome #236
- 2000 Donruss Elite #183 (/1500)
- 2000 E-X #122 (/1500)
- 2000 Fleer Mystique #103 (/2000)
- 2000 Fleer Showcase #136 (/2000)
- 2000 Leaf Certified #207 (/1500)
- 2000 Leaf Rookies and Stars #134 (/1000)
- 2000 Pacific Omega #191 (/500) (with Chris Redman)
- 2000 Pacific Prism Prospects #156 (/1000)
- 2000 Pacific Private Stock Retail #128 (/650)
- 2000 Pacific Vanguard #139 (/762)
- 2000 Playoff Absolute #195 (/3000)
- 2000 Playoff Momentum #180 (/750)
- 2000 Playoff Prestige #286 (/2500)
- 2000 UD Graded #104 (/1325)
- 2000 UD Ionix #77 (/2000)
- 2000 Ultimate Victory #146 (/2000)
- 2000 Upper Deck #254
- 2000 Upper Deck Black Diamond #126 (/2400)
- 2000 Upper Deck Gold Reserve #215 (/2500)
Premium Rookie Cards