Rookie Card Year: 2009-10
Investment Rating: 8.0
With Stephen Curry cards breaking out, the 2009-10 rookie class is looking even stronger, especially for those teams out west. The sharp-shooting guard is quickly ascending the hobby ranks. While Blake Griffin and James Harden will continue to garner much of the attention from basketball fans and collectors, Curry is doing his best to deepen the list of standouts from the 2009 NBA Draft. And if Golden State finds themselves gaining some postseason success, the market for Stephen Curry cards and memorabilia will continue to grow.
Entering 2013-14, the Warriors made the postseason just a handful of times since Curry was born. Most of those came before he grabbed his lunchbox and headed off to kindergarten. Simply put, the franchise has been anywhere from horrible to mediocre. But with Stephen Curry leading the team on the court, their fortunes appear to be changing.
Picked by the Warriors with the seventh pick in 2009, Curry played college basketball at Davidson. He was a consensus First-Team All-American in his freshman year, following it up with Second-Team honors the following year.
One of the NBA's top three-point shooters, he is also among the league leaders in assists and steals. 2012-13 has been a breakout year for the guard and Stephen Curry cards are starting to gain more traction. Collectors have more than 25 different Stephen Curry rookie cards to choose from, many of which are highlighted by low print runs and autographs. His rookies came at a time of transition for basketball cards. When the season started, Panini had exclusive rights for making cards for the league. However, Topps and Upper Deck each released a handful of sets prior to their licenses expiring. As a result, Curry, and the rest of the 2009-10 rookie class, have their first cards with several different companies. It also explains the somewhat generic and college clothing choices shown on the Topps and Upper Deck cards.
Top Stephen Curry Rookie Cards
Featuring an over-sized, multi-color patch, the National Treasures horizontal design has lots of contrast between the image and memorabilia. An average-sized photo and on-card signature accompany the card. Its print run of just 99 total companies ensures strong secondary market prices.
Since it's inception in 2003-04, the Exquisite brand has differentiated itself from the competition as one of the most coveted rookie card brands in basketball. Despite not having a memorabilia swatch and having a print run more than two times that of the National Treasures rookie, this card commands a significant premium on the secondary market.
For those collectors lacking the deep pockets required to own a copy of one of the aforementioned cards, the Limited rookie provides a nice alternative. A crisp design and sizable player image combine with a jersey swatch and clear sticker autograph to provide a solid card.
Stephen Curry Rookie Card Checklist
Budget Rookie Cards
Mid-Range Rookie Cards
Premium Rookie Cards
- 2009-10 Absolute Memorabilia #144 Autographed Jersey #/499
- 2009-10 Certified #176 Autographed Jersey #/399
- 2009-10 Crown Royale #103 Autograph #/399
- 2009-10 Donruss Elite #166 Autograph #/499
- 2009-10 Limited #156 Autographed Jersey #/299
- 2009-10 Panini Classics #166 Autograph #/499
- 2009-10 Panini Court Kings #129 Autograph #/649
- 2009-10 Panini Threads #107 Autograph #/625
- 2009-10 Playoff Contenders #106 Autograph
- 2009-10 Playoff National Treasures #206 Autographed Patch #/99
- 2009-10 Rookies & Stars #136 Autograph #/449
- 2009-10 Timeless Treasures #106 Autograph #/299
- 2009-10 Upper Deck Exquisite Collection #64 Autograph #/225
Stephen Curry Autographed Memorabilia Buying Guide
Below you will find an example of what Stephen Curry's authentic signature looks like. This can be used as a first point of reference for determining the legitimacy of autograph memorabilia, but is not a substitute for having your items authenticated by a well-respected professional autograph authentication company. Reputable authentication companies include JSA, PSA and Mounted Memories to name a few. Click on any of the images below to view full size photos.
Stephen Curry Cut Signature Exemplar
Stephen Curry Key Signature Attributes: An authentic Stephen Curry signature autograph will exhibit several distinguishing characteristics, depending on when in his career the item was signed. Other characteristics that play into his signature style are the particular item and venue. Look for the following signature features:
- Whole signature is written on a lane that rises slightly.
- The signature is defined by an over-sized "C" that houses his first name; the "C" itself is narrow from top to bottom with a vertical line at the top and a horizontal line on a 20 degree angle that underlines the rest of the signature and finishes with a down stroke vertical line.
- The letter "S" is legible with a closed loop at the top and open at the bottom.
- The letters "t" and "e" are discernible with the "e" being very small and closed.
- The cross of the "t" extends into what actually looks like another "t."
- The number "30" finishes the signature.
Stephen Curry Signed Basketball Pricing
Stephen Curry Signed Jersey Pricing