Rookie Card Year: 2011
Investment Rating: 5.5
There were a fair number of skeptics when the Minnesota Vikings chose Christian Ponder with the 12th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Although some questioned whether he was a franchise quarterback, the Florida State alumnus joined a team filled with offensive talent. In turn, collectors quickly targeted Christian Ponder cards.
Although he quickly assumed a starting role with the team, uneven performances have dampened expectations and called into question his long-term viability. Because most Christian Ponder cards and memorabilia can be had for reasonable amounts, it might not hurt to stash a few now. However, given his shaky prospects and uncertain future, it is hard to recommend Ponder as a great investment opportunity. Unless he makes great strides quickly, his starting quarterback window will quickly close. He might even find himself out of a job.
Christian Ponder is part of a strong 2011 rookie class that is filled with quarterbacks. First round quarterback selections will always gain the attention of the hobby world but Ponder has been unable to sustain the demand based on his inconsistent play. Comparisons to the successes seen by Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Cam Newton have further hurt the hobby prospects for Christian Ponder cards and memorabilia.
Top Christian Ponder Rookie Cards
The 2011 National Treasures Christian Ponder is a sharp-looking card with all the hallmarks of a super premium rookie. It's numbered to 99, features an on-card signature and has a large patch window, most of which come with several colors.
With a color scheme that is similar to National Treasures, there is one glaring difference: the patch window is much smaller. As a result, many of the swatches aren't as dramatic either. Still, numbered to just 65 copies and featuring an on-card autograph, it still commands huge prices when it shows up.
The 2011 Panini Gold Standard rookie is one of the best Christian Ponder cards. It features an on-card auto and jersey swatch in a nice metallic design. The bizarre signature looks like it was signed using an over-sized Sharpie. Also, it seems strange that Panini chose to use silver ink instead of gold, given the brand's name.
This Christian Ponder rookie card pays homage to the brand's legacy with the corner crown design. It also has an on-card autograph and large jersey swatch. The autograph area features a big canvas for signatures and the lower print ensures that it will remain a top option for Ponder collectors.
Christian Ponder Rookie Card Checklist
Budget Rookie Cards
Mid-Range Rookie Cards
Premium Rookie Cards
- 2011 Absolute Memorabilia #213 Autographed Jersey #/199
- 2011 Certified #263 Autographed Jersey #/299
- 2011 Crown Royale #205 Autographed Jersey #/199
- 2011 National Treasures #301 Autographed Jersey #/99
- 2011 Panini Gold Standard #258 Autographed Jersey #/325
- 2011 Panini Limited #208 Autographed Jersey #/199
- 2011 Panini Plates & Patches #208 Autographed Jersey #/299
- 2011 Panini Playbook #108 Autographed Jersey #/299
- 2011 Panini Prime Signatures #233 Autograph #/199
- 2011 Panini Threads #256 Autograph #/300
- 2011 Playoff Contenders #205 Autograph
- 2011 Rookies and Stars #280 Autograph #/299
- 2011 Timeless Treasures #146 Autograph #/163
- 2011 Topps Five Star #153 Autographed Patch #/65
- 2011 Topps Triple Threads #136 Autographed Jersey #/99
- 2011 Totally Certified #208 Autographed Jersey #/299
Christian Ponder Autographed Memorabilia Buying Guide
Below you will find an example of what Christian Ponder's authentic signature looks like. This can be used as a first point of reference for determining the legitimacy of autograph memorabilia, but is not a substitute for having your items authenticated by a well-respected professional autograph authentication company. Some of the trusted sources within the sports memorabilia market include the following companies: PSA, JSA, Tristar, and Mounted Memories. Click on any of the images below to view full size photos.
Christian Ponder Cut Signature Exemplar
Christian Ponder Key Signature Attributes: An authentic Christian Ponder signature autograph will exhibit several distinguishing characteristics. Regardless of the type of item signed or when in his career, look for these signature characteristics:
Christian Ponder Signature Characteristics
- The signature is written on an even plane.
- The letter "C" is distinguishable and exhibits an open loop at the top of the letter.
- A long line coming off of the letter "C", to the right serves as the cross of the letter "t."
- Several letters are implied with a short, hyphen-like character.
- The letter "P" consists of a vertical line and a half circle, written in such a manner that no closed loop is formed.
- The final part of the signature looks like, a somewhat, sideways letter "A" with out the crossing line.
Christian Ponder Signed Football Pricing:
Christian Ponder Signed Jersey Pricing:
Christian Ponder Signed Helmet Pricing:
Christian Ponder Signed Photograph Pricing:
Christian Ponder Signed 8x10 Photo PSA DNA Minnesota Vikings
Christian Ponder Signed 8x10 Photo PSA DNA Florida State Seminoles FSU Noles
For general information and player statistics visit: