Former Chicago Bears to Appear at Local Zoo
The Brookfield Zoo in Chicago will play host to an event on July 17th and 18th honoring both the Chicago Bears and one of the zoo's newest exhibits, the Great Bear Wilderness. The event is part of the Chicago Zoological Society's "Real Fan Days" series that spans seven weekends throughout the summer. Besides the Bears, other teams to be featured in the series are the Chicago Bulls (NBA), Cubs (MLB), Fire (MLS), White Sox (MLB), Blackhawks (NHL) and Wolves (AHL).
This weekend's events feature many activities, all of which are included with the price of admission.
For starters, several former Bears' players are scheduled for autograph appearances:
- Steve McMichael from noon to 2 PM on Saturday
- Keith Van Horne from 2 to 4 PM on Saturday
- Dennis McKinnon from noon to 2 PM on Sunday
- Otis Wilson from 3 to 4 PM on Sunday
Also, Staley Da Bear, the Bears' mascot, will be on hand to meet with fans from 1 to 3 PM on both days.
Lastly, there will be several interactive family events at the zoo. Highlights include:
- a Chicago Bears-themed scavenger hunt
- "Call the Plays Like the Pros" sports broadcasting karaoke
- an inflatable Bears Fielding Tunnel
- bungee running activities
- Giant Bag Toss, which is an over-sized version of the popular tailgating beanbag toss game
Visitors who come to the zoo wearing Bears apparel during the event receive 20 percent off their admission. Regular admission is $13.50 for adults. Discounted rates of $9.50 apply to children aged 3 to 11 and seniors 65 and over. Children 2 and under are free and parking is $9. More information can be found at the website for the Chicago Zoological Society. The Chicago Bulls were featured last week and the Cubs will be featured next week.