First Leg of Red Auerbach Memorabilia Auction a Success
The first installment of a three-part sports memorabilia auction centered around Red Auerbach's personal items and prized memorabilia collection resulted in a total of $785,550 in sales. Bidding was competitive for the former coach's many valuable and rare items. Some of the highlights include:
- Auerbach's Boston Celtics NBA Championship rings from 1957 ($80,750), 1962 ($78,709), 1974 ($41,435) and 1981 ($82,727)
- Auerbach's 1968 Basketball Hall of Fame induction ring ($50,062); which was sold through SCP Auctions, included several championship rings (selling from $40k to over $80k)
- A full set of the coach's golf clubs ($36,404)
- A cigar humidor owned by the late coach ($18,840).
- Bob Cousy Boston Celtics game-worn rookie jersey ($41,435)
The auction was held by SCP Auctions. They will be selling the remaining items in Auerbach's collection over the summer and fall of this year.