Hertiage’s Platinum Night Auction Totals Nearly $5 Million
As the name indicates, the 2011 August Chicago Signature Vintage Sports Collectibles Platinum Auction pulled in a huge haul. A total of 97 items brought in more than $4.95 million with several rare pieces pushing well into the six-figure range. Leading the way was Cy Young's 1908 game-used Red Sox jersey, which sold for $657,250.00. Other items that caught the attention of collectors are listed below. The final bid amounts include the 19.5 percent buyer's premium.
- 1908-1930's "Shoeless Joe" Jackson's Legendary "Black Betsy" Game-Used Bat - $537,750
- 1934 Lou Gehrig Tour of Japan Game-Worn Uniform - $507,875
- 1937 Robert T. "Bobby" Jones' Personal Augusta Green Jacket - $310,700
- 1928 Lou Gehrig's New York Yankees World Championship Wristwatch - $155,350
- 1926 New York Yankees Team-Signed Baseball - $131,450
- 1934 Lou Gehrig Tour of Japan Game-Worn Cap - $95,600
- 1914-15 Honus Wagner Game-Used Bat - $89,625
- Circa 1915 Eddie Plank Single-Signed Baseball - $83,650
- 1949 Jackie Robinson All-Star Game-Used Bat - $83,650
- 1923 Christy Mathewson Single-Signed Baseball - $83,650
Just six items from the Lou Gehrig Collection accounted for almost $1 million in sales. The collection included the Tour of Japan jersey and cap as well the World Championship wristwatch. The items were originally given to Gehrig's girlfriend from 1930, Ruth Martin, by Gehrig's mother. They passed along to the woman's son, Jeffrey Quick, when she died. Now pushing the age of 70, he decided it was time to let them be appreciated by someone else.
Several smaller items from the Lou Gehrig collection will be included in future Heritage Auctions. View the results from the entire auction at the Heritage website.
1909-10 REPRINTS CIGARETTE CARDS 4 EACH CY YOUNG NAP LAJOIE CLEVELAND INDIANS
WORLD SERIES HEROES X 2 CARLTON FISK CY YOUNG BOSTON RED SOX
Baseball's All-time greats Cy Young
1982 tcma Baseball's Greatest Pitchers CY YOUNG